Saturday, July 26, 2008

Whither ESBs?

I've used ESBs only as a workflow/messaging infrastructure for small-scale prototypes, and haven't thought much about how ESBs fit into the rapidly evolving web-oriented terrain.

So, I was intrigued by Joe McKendrick's latest post "Enterprise Service Busted", in which he summarizes a recent dust-up about the place & value of ESBs. I really learn a lot from these periodic spats since they seem to occur when concepts surrounding a key technology have matured to the point that a robust understanding is emerging (the last one of these I saw was around REST/WOA a few months back).

In reviewing the genealogy of Joe's post, I came across a blogger I had not read before. Todd Biske, in this post from October 2006, has a list of 18 functions that should be external to a web service. He then maps those functions into 3 overlapping spaces (software infrastructure, networking & security, and system management) and places various vendors/products on the map. One of the most interesting aspects of the emerging hyperconnectivity is why/how IT should be partitioned and the implications the resulting structure has for the developer, operator, and user. This is one of the better commentaries I've seen. Highly recommended.

Here's some of the key forums in the genealogy:

1 comment:

Todd Biske said...

Thanks for the shout out! Hopefully you'll find other posts on value on my blog.