Saturday, July 5, 2008

IT as Dialogue Systems

Nigel Green has augmented VPEC-T with an assertion that information is perhaps more about Context and Dialogue than the data/info/knowledge/wisdom "stack."

As I've said in previous posts, when considering Information, I think it is more productive to focus on Context than a "stack" structure that, for better or worse, tends to evoke visions of increasing aggregation.

I've not said much explicitly about dialogue, but references to Snowden, Klein, and Weick should point toward the fact that sensemaking in a Context always involves the use of Language in a Conversation (with yourself and others).

Although I had not stumbled across these folks at Capgemini UK until recently, they are some of the very few architects I know of that seem to fully appreciate why IT ends (not begins) with technology.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the comments- I'd welcome a dialogue do you Twitter?

I'm 'nigelpsgreen' if you do.

WalterRSmith said...

I'm afraid I don't...I guess I should check it out.