Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Erlang, Cloud Computing, and CEP

This slashdot post on Erlang caught my eye when it mentioned that both Amazon and Google are using the programming language as the foundation for their utility computing offerings.

I've always been intrigued by functional programming languages, so I clicked through several of the links....here's the ones I found interesting:

The post is about a blog entry that provides some additional context, although you'll need to click the "History of Erlang" link (in the blog entry) to get a good description of why Erlang makes sense for the cloud.

Which kind of made me wonder if Erlang had been used for Complex Event Processing...a Google search turned up this comment on Erlang and CEP.

Will cloud computing make functional programming mainstream? I kind of doubt it, but Google and Amazon's vote may make FP more widely known and used than it is today.

No comments: