Saturday, March 29, 2008

More "Execution-Exploration" Fodder

In other forums, I've discussed at some lengthe the challenge of integrating the exploding Exploration-oriented IT capabilities (e.g., Web 2.0) with the traditional Execution-oriented IT capabilities (e.g., Oracle, SAP, etc.). For this blog, I'll just point out that similar contrasts have been discussed by others....Exploitation-Exploration (Tushman, HBS), Push Programs - Pull Platforms (Hagel and Seely Brown), Performance - Learning,Innovation (Singer and Edmondson), Volume vs. Complex Operations (Moore).

Don't know that there's anything new in Dennis Howlett's recent post, but it is another data point highlighting how the emerging tensions are approaching what he calls a "war."

I guess it was about 3 years ago that I was part of a small enterprise architecting team that observed that this war was coming and that it would be the users vs. IT...as I've mentioned before, it's similar to the PC/LAN conflict of the 80's...though I suspect that the emerging conflict is far more fundamental/significant and will therefore generate much more tension and last longer.

No comments: